Are Clothing Discount Sites Like Zaful and Shein Worth the Risk?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lillian Kish, Senior Staff Writer

Have you ever considered buying clothes off of a sketchy website because these sites pop up all the time while you are engaged in different online activities?  Most people do. Two such clothing sites that appeal to teens primarily are Shein and Zalful. For a first time visit, check out the links below:

https://us.shein.com/?url_from=usyahoobrandshein_shein01_20170821

https://www.zaful.com/?lkid=11791561

Many people fear that websites like Shein and Zaful are scams. The small percentage of shoppers who don’t think inexpensive clothing is a scam believe that the quality of items will be compromised to bring the cost down. There are mixed reviews on both websites, so one never really knows if he/she is getting swindled or not.

Many girls care about their clothing and some spend hours picking out the perfect outfit, and most teen girls have been at an indecisive point at one time or another. Some may even refuse to wear the same thing twice and wind up always shopping for something new. An online article on teen shopping habits cites a particular study: “According to a 2016 Piper Jaffray.com

report, teen spending habits include using 38 percent of their income on clothing, and another 22 percent on food. Music, movies and video games are also popular things for teens to spend their money on.” So it’s pretty plausible to assume that teens spend a fair amount of that 38% shopping for clothes, and it’s also reasonable to assume that girls make up the greatest number of the shopping group. However, constantly purchasing clothes will start adding up quickly, thus leading to other shopping alternatives. When on the hunt for more bang for their buck, online shoppers will sometimes turn to websites like Zaful and Shein for clothes that are unbelievably inexpensive.

Zaful and Shein offer clothes for as low as a single dollar, but only some will purchase. It is hit or miss with what a teen shopper will get; a portion of the items received may be wearable but most don’t really  know the quality of what they are buying. Senior student at HHS, Kelsey Tingler says: “it is not worth the risk, I do not want to waste my money on something that will fall apart in the wash”. Other students like senior Hannah Roose refuse to make purchases on sketchy sites because “they want to keep jobs in America, and many of these discount sites are foreign operations.”

The general consensus is that these sites may be inexpensive, but sometimes sadly, the clothes are inexpensively made, making them not worth half as much much as one pays for them. Teens may not necessarily get scammed, but they can definitely get cheated out of a buck or two for a sweater that comes small enough to appear to be a child’s size. Do not take the risk, instead, save up and buy something that reflects quality and taste. Both your closet and appearance will thank you because, in the end, quality always trumps quantity.