Freshmen are Friends, not Food!!!

Sydney Bowser, Senior Staff Writer

The catchy title to this article hails from a reference to the animated Finding Nemo, and although the movie target is Nemo and Dori, this phrase applies easily to freshmen entering the “shark tank” of high school.  Starting high school can be very scary and even confusing for a lot of adolescents, whether others realize it or not, but there are a lot of resources out there for incoming freshmen, and Hubbard High School is, after all, one of the kindest “shark tanks” to swim into. 

First, there are a variety of options out there for freshmen who may be struggling. Many teachers and fellow students at Hubbard are willing to step in to help students throughout not only their freshmen year, but all four years of high school. There is after school help–Homework Help, intervention, and peer tutoring for those who are having a tough time with the academic transition.  Homework Help takes place on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 2:30-3:30 in the Teacher’s Classroom. There are various teachers each day to help students in the different subjects they may be struggling with. 

One of the best social resources for incoming freshmen is Link Crew. Link Crew is a leadership program that is focused on making select individuals from the current junior and senior classes into “Link Leaders” who mentor freshmen and guide them through their first year of high school. Link Crew at Hubbard High School is run by two great teachers: Mrs. Laura McCleery and Mrs. Andrea Stamp. At the beginning of the school year, each freshman is assigned to a “crew” which has two Link Leaders. The link leaders stay up to date with the freshmen and are there to help them through their first chapter of high school. 

Link Crew held a freshman orientation in August where the leaders got to meet their “crew” through Zoom and they even got to play team building exercises to get to know everyone. Included in the orientation, the “Link Leaders” also put a list of things that every freshman should know. Some of them are kind of silly and some are very helpful. Here’s the list in a nutshell: 

1. Grades are important, but they do not define  you.
  2. Less is more with perfume and cologne.
  3. Join clubs and sport teams.
  4. Carry your planners.
  5. Go to Homework Help.
  6. Make sure you watch or check the announcements every day.                                          
  7. Don’t believe it when you hear a teacher is mean.
  8. Always Do the Extra Credit
  9.  Make memories whenever possible.

The jump from middle school to high school can be challenging. Freshmen students from Hubbard High School were asked, “What has been the biggest challenge for you moving up to the High School?” Freshman Nick Bowser replied, “The biggest challenge for me has been the speed of learning. I don’t know if it is because of Covid, but we are learning 2x as fast.”  Freshman Nick Pallante added, “I’d say the biggest change for me was deciding to play football. It’s been great as I’ve been able to meet new people and gain many new friends. As a freshman it’s good knowing that I’ll always have someone older than me to help me get through a new and confusing year.”  Even though this year may seem confusing at times, this transition from middle school to high school is a big step, so it is important to know that there are resources and people out there to help anyone and everyone in their journey. The four years of high school fly by so fast, so make many memories, do well, get involved, and have fun!