Eagles Football Preview 2015

Calley Baxter, Junior Staff Writer

As the students of Hubbard High reunited at the end of this past August, many things were on their minds. One of these things was the beginning of fall sports, football in particular. The 2015 football season kicked off with Hubbard’s first home game against Norwayne. Hubbard pulled off a close win with the final score of 22-19. The win of the first game often sets the tone of the season, and it means a lot to everyone, especially the football players themselves. “It was sweet [to win] because it was this year’s group of boys first chance to play together,” Running Back Mason Borweic exclaimed. “It felt good [to win] because we were sending a message,” # 36 kicker Colin Burdette added. Even though the excitement of the first game is over, Hubbard has many challenges this football season, the biggest being: Can Hubbard overcome the loss of L.J. Scott and make a deeper playoff run in 2015?

There are some key returnees to the Eagles team who will help the Eagles evolve. According to WKBN and MaxPrep’s stats, George Hill is a key factor for the Eagles his senior season. “Hill has accumulated ten 100-yard games and 2401 rushing yards in his career as an Eagle. Cam Ingram finished his first season at Hubbard by tossing 59 of 102 passes (57.8%) for 953 yards, 12 touchdowns with just 1 interception. Ingram also gained 295 yards on the ground while scoring 6 times. Seniors Brett Lopuchovsky (53 tackles, 5 INTs), Dom Pantone (50 tackles), and Tyreek Daniels (47 tackles) should all give the defense a lift while juniors Sal Pesce (77 tackles) and Dillon O’Hara (32 tackles) will be the anchor towards a bright future.”

So yes, the football team has much to accomplish this season, and 19 returning letter winners will help to accomplish much. To “simply kick the ball through the yellow posts,” is one of senior Ben Rubinic’s main goals. #6, WB Joey Fisher also hopes to “make it past the third round of playoffs,” To other players it’s not all about what they earn, but how they earn it. “It’s all about the teamwork” says # 57, Linebacker Salvatore Pesce, “If we keep working as a team, I think we can go far,” he adds, and most team members tend to agree with Sal.

This is Coach Brian Hoffman’s 8th season at Hubbard (73-21), with a five-year winning percentage of nearly 80%. If anyone can lead Hubbard successfully, it’s Coach Hoffman. Most hope to do their best, and make their community proud. Likewise, Hubbard is a football community, and the support their players 100%. So all hope for the best in the 2015 season. Good luck, Eagles!