Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Chloe Ryhal, Junior Staff Writer

The holiday season is full of colorful lights and the distant hums of carols. Every student, teacher and staff member at Hubbard High School is eagerly awaiting the holiday season and a well-deserved break. Students are excited about visiting with their families for the holiday celebration and sharing some long cherished traditions. Whether one celebrates Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or anything else, the holidays are an important time of the year.

Each winter holiday has its own unique history as well.  Christmas is a Christian holiday, held in celebration of Jesus’s birth. Then, according to online sources, “The eight-day Jewish celebration known as Hanukkah commemorates the re-dedication during the second century B.C. of the Second Temple in Jerusalem, where according to legend, Jews had risen up against their Greek-Syrian oppressors in the Maccabean Revolt”; and lastly, Kwanzaa, is a “celebration which honors African heritage in African-American culture and is observed from December 26 to January 1, culminating in a feast and gift-giving.”

This reporter was curious about some of the traditions observed throughout the high school concerning the celebration of the Christmas holiday.  An anonymous questionnaire distributed in a 10th grade English class listed some of the students’ favorite holiday customs. One students said, “My family has the tradition of watching a Christmas movie each of the twelve nights leading up to Christmas.”  Another remarked, “ My family gathers at a member’s house, then we eat, have fun, and in the end we let go of a balloon that says, ‘Happy Birthday’ in celebration of Jesus’s birth.”  Still another sophomore recalls the fun times their family had: “We play crazy games, like trying to open a gift with mittens on!” Another ethnic family tradition seems to be eating Vasilopita, which one student describes as, “A special cake that contains a hidden coin, If you get the coin in your slice, then you have good luck for the rest of the year.”

Although each family celebrates their own particular holiday with their own unique traditions, the majority of people wake up on the appointed date ready to open presents and enjoy the holiday with friends and family. With the new year quickly arriving, the season may be chaotic, but everyone is truly thankful for the celebration of the holiday season.

http://www.history.com/topics/holidays/hanukkah

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

Very Superstitious

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

Should Sex Determine Military Service?

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Three: Mind Control Mania

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

The Five Highest and Five Lowest Paying College Majors

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

No Sports Totally Safe for Student Athletes

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

Life Doesn’t Imitate Art: Ten Lies We Learn from TV Dating Shows

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Two: The Pentagon UFO Video-Is it ET or the Military?

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

The Down and Dirty on Eating Disorders

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS