Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Chloe Ryhal, Junior Staff Writer

The holiday season is full of colorful lights and the distant hums of carols. Every student, teacher and staff member at Hubbard High School is eagerly awaiting the holiday season and a well-deserved break. Students are excited about visiting with their families for the holiday celebration and sharing some long cherished traditions. Whether one celebrates Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or anything else, the holidays are an important time of the year.

Each winter holiday has its own unique history as well.  Christmas is a Christian holiday, held in celebration of Jesus’s birth. Then, according to online sources, “The eight-day Jewish celebration known as Hanukkah commemorates the re-dedication during the second century B.C. of the Second Temple in Jerusalem, where according to legend, Jews had risen up against their Greek-Syrian oppressors in the Maccabean Revolt”; and lastly, Kwanzaa, is a “celebration which honors African heritage in African-American culture and is observed from December 26 to January 1, culminating in a feast and gift-giving.”

This reporter was curious about some of the traditions observed throughout the high school concerning the celebration of the Christmas holiday.  An anonymous questionnaire distributed in a 10th grade English class listed some of the students’ favorite holiday customs. One students said, “My family has the tradition of watching a Christmas movie each of the twelve nights leading up to Christmas.”  Another remarked, “ My family gathers at a member’s house, then we eat, have fun, and in the end we let go of a balloon that says, ‘Happy Birthday’ in celebration of Jesus’s birth.”  Still another sophomore recalls the fun times their family had: “We play crazy games, like trying to open a gift with mittens on!” Another ethnic family tradition seems to be eating Vasilopita, which one student describes as, “A special cake that contains a hidden coin, If you get the coin in your slice, then you have good luck for the rest of the year.”

Although each family celebrates their own particular holiday with their own unique traditions, the majority of people wake up on the appointed date ready to open presents and enjoy the holiday with friends and family. With the new year quickly arriving, the season may be chaotic, but everyone is truly thankful for the celebration of the holiday season.

http://www.history.com/topics/holidays/hanukkah

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa

Chloe Ryhal, Senior Staff Writer
  • Chloe Ryhal is going into her Senior year at Hubbard High School, and she hopes to make this year the best one yet. As this will be her second and final year of the HUB, Chloe hopes to make it something special. She originally joined the HUB because of her passion for writing, and that passion still drives her today. Just from the few short months that make up the school year, Ms. Shattuck and her fellow HUB members have taught her about journalism and have helped her to improve her writing.
  • Chloe plans to start her senior year strong by challenging herself with three College Credit Plus courses. She is taking French, Chemistry, and not so surprisingly, Writing. Although her school schedule is completely full,  she plans on keeping her part time job as well as maintaining her full time job as a mother to her fur baby. Additionally, Chloe plans to continue participating in multiple clubs. Some of these include: Drama, Art, National Art Honors Society, French, as well as serving as a staff member for the HUB news site. As she previously held the position of treasurer in the Hubbard Drama club, she hopes this year that her fellow members will do her the honor of electing her as president.
  • Chloe hopes to graduate with an honors diploma. Following graduation, she is considering college; however, Chloe is still stuck in that transition phase where one must decide what he or she wants to do for the rest adulthood, and this is a big decision. She is, however, very excited to make that decision sometime in the near future.
  • Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

First Male Cheerleaders Make NFL History

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

Five Dangerous Teen Trends

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

The Sinful Side of the Catholic Church

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

The History of Hubbard Schools

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

Honors, CCP, AP: Which Choice is Right for You?

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

HHS Publications Captures Top Awards at YSU Press Day

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

Very Superstitious

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

Should Sex Determine Military Service?

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Three: Mind Control Mania

• Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

Top Stories

The Five Highest and Five Lowest Paying College Majors

Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS