Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Anthony Trobek, Sophomore Staff Writer

Nowadays, teenagers have more ways of communicating with their family, friends, and peers than ever before. Through social media platforms such as Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook, among others, there are a countless number of ways that teenagers can chat with their friends or even meet new people. Mikey VanSuch, a junior at Hubbard High, said: “I use  different forms of social media all day. They are my main method of communication.” Even if a teen decides to not use social media, he or she can still text, call, or even facetime someone else. One would think that with all of these forms of communication, it would be impossible to feel alone and isolated. However, that isn’t always the case.

Did you know that on average, a teenager will use technology to access media for nine hours a day, according to online sources? That is more than one third of the day being taken away by technology. How is someone supposed to be connected or interact with others if a teen has his or her head buried in a phone for that long each day? When asked her opinion on the matter, Senior Grace Slaina said, “I think social media is bad because people spend more time on their phones than they do communicating with others, even personal friends.” Not everybody agrees with Grace, though. When sophomore Dean Esmail was asked his opinion on the subject, he remarked: “I think that communications tech should be accepted as a social norm in life. Technology is revolutionizing today’s society, and it should be embraced rather than deterred.”  As you can see, there are two very different opinions when it comes to how technology affects our society as a whole.

Online studies seem to suggest that overuse of smartphones has a negative effect rather than a positive one. “Jean M. Twenge, a professor of psychology at San Diego State University, said members of iGen — born between 1995 and 2012 — also are more immature than their predecessors  The study found that teens are spending less time together, and are less likely to date or participate in other typical teen behaviors [due to their over reliance on cell phones] than previous generations.”

With the opinions of teenagers and professionals differing on the subject, the question at hand is a heavily debated one. Now the answer is up to the reader to decide for themselves, does technology make you feel more alone and isolated? When’s the last time you had a true face-to-face discussion with someone on an important or delicate subject?

Anthony Trobek, JuniorStaff Writer
  • A.J. Trobek is currently a junior at Hubbard High School. During his second year as a Hub Staff member, A.J. hopes he is able to express his fondness for writing in a professional, but compelling manner. He loves sports and has always been very interested in global news stories. He is going to try his best to write each article with a student friendly approach.
  • A.J. takes all CCP and honors classes which include: CCP Algebra and Trigonometry, CCP Government, CCP Chemistry, and Honors English 3. He is also enrolled in French 3 as well as Video Production. For the third year running, he is a member of the French Club. A.J. plays club soccer for Soccer Vision Academy and Fury Soccer Club, a club that is based out of West Virginia. He plays club soccer from November to June. A.J. is a member of the HHS Varsity Boys Soccer team as well. He was given an athletic letter during his freshman and sophomore years and was chosen to be a captain for his sophomore and junior years. He won the Coaches Award in his sophomore season as well.
  • After graduation, A.J. hopes to receive his undergraduate degree in biology and continue his soccer career at the collegiate level at either the Ohio State University or Akron University. His ultimate goal, however, is to receive his degree in veterinary medicine at Ohio State University.  After this, he hopes to live near Akron, Ohio and be a successful veterinarian.
  • Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

First Male Cheerleaders Make NFL History

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

Five Dangerous Teen Trends

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

The Sinful Side of the Catholic Church

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

The History of Hubbard Schools

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

Honors, CCP, AP: Which Choice is Right for You?

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

HHS Publications Captures Top Awards at YSU Press Day

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

Very Superstitious

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

Should Sex Determine Military Service?

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Three: Mind Control Mania

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

The Five Highest and Five Lowest Paying College Majors

Does Technology Isolate Teens?