Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Anthony Trobek, Sophomore Staff Writer

Nowadays, teenagers have more ways of communicating with their family, friends, and peers than ever before. Through social media platforms such as Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook, among others, there are a countless number of ways that teenagers can chat with their friends or even meet new people. Mikey VanSuch, a junior at Hubbard High, said: “I use  different forms of social media all day. They are my main method of communication.” Even if a teen decides to not use social media, he or she can still text, call, or even facetime someone else. One would think that with all of these forms of communication, it would be impossible to feel alone and isolated. However, that isn’t always the case.

Did you know that on average, a teenager will use technology to access media for nine hours a day, according to online sources? That is more than one third of the day being taken away by technology. How is someone supposed to be connected or interact with others if a teen has his or her head buried in a phone for that long each day? When asked her opinion on the matter, Senior Grace Slaina said, “I think social media is bad because people spend more time on their phones than they do communicating with others, even personal friends.” Not everybody agrees with Grace, though. When sophomore Dean Esmail was asked his opinion on the subject, he remarked: “I think that communications tech should be accepted as a social norm in life. Technology is revolutionizing today’s society, and it should be embraced rather than deterred.”  As you can see, there are two very different opinions when it comes to how technology affects our society as a whole.

Online studies seem to suggest that overuse of smartphones has a negative effect rather than a positive one. “Jean M. Twenge, a professor of psychology at San Diego State University, said members of iGen — born between 1995 and 2012 — also are more immature than their predecessors  The study found that teens are spending less time together, and are less likely to date or participate in other typical teen behaviors [due to their over reliance on cell phones] than previous generations.”

With the opinions of teenagers and professionals differing on the subject, the question at hand is a heavily debated one. Now the answer is up to the reader to decide for themselves, does technology make you feel more alone and isolated? When’s the last time you had a true face-to-face discussion with someone on an important or delicate subject?

Anthony Trobek, JuniorStaff Writer

A.J. Trobek is currently a junior at Hubbard High School. During his second year as a Hub Staff member, A.J. hopes he is able to express his fondness...

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

The Wave of the Future: Tablets vs. Textbooks

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

Growing Number of Teens Exhibit Mental Health Problems

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

Fake is the New Real: Reality TV

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

Midterms: Prep and Panic Time for Many

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

HHS Boys Soccer Season Recap

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Sports

Football Wrap Up: Eagles Soar in 2018

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Sports

Hubbard Football Sets Eyes on State

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

News

The Internet: A Predator’s Haven

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

What’s Your Sign? Intro to Astrology Series

• Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Student Life

Homecoming a Hit in 2018

Does Technology Isolate Teens?