Life Doesn’t Imitate Art: Ten Lies We Learn from TV Dating Shows

Mikaley Chufo, Senior Staff Writer

High school is the time when most teens begin dating and become involved in their first relationships.  Often the tendency is to try to model life after what’s presented as reality on these shows.  That attempt is worthless, and more importantly, dishonest.  Let’s face it–dating and relationships don’t work out the way they do on TV.

Consider the number of shows today that are based on this subject.  “Each of these shows specifically have a full storyline or partial storyline that revolves around dating: New Girl, How I Met Your Mother, Happy Endings, Girls, I could go on and on all the way back to Seinfeld; Jerry had a new date in nearly EVERY EPISODE,” explains David Dean in his online article on TV and Dating.

Shows like The Bachelor present  false realities about how dating really works. HHS Junior Alexis Ward explains that she doesn’t buy the presented reality, but “It’s really fun to watch because of the drama.”  However, Senior Isaac Roose, considers the more damaging effect of a reality show like The Bachelor: “I think the way they portray women is demeaning.” In real life the dates aren’t planned in any way as they are presented on this show.   

On an episode during the most recent season of The Bachelor, Bachelor Arie Luyendyk Jr., had a date, and he gave his date thousands of dollars worth of clothes and accessories. Most of the time men don’t give out these extravagant items until they are engaged or married; some men may not have the money to give them as gifts at all. Once again, this show promotes a dishonest view.  So here is a list of the 10 main lies that we see on dating shows, The Bachelor, particularly:

1. Hair and makeup are always perfect: No one has beautiful hair and make-up 24/7.
  2. The girls are always overly competitive and mean to each other: Most of the time what is said is taken out of context, and this presentation makes the girls look meaner than they actually are.
  3. The weather is always perfect: Weather is unpredictable. Nobody can know if it will rain on one’s first date night.
  4. All women can afford fancy dresses for every big event:  The girls spend immense sums on clothing, make-up, hair, and other accessories. Who has that kind of money as a teen, or possibly as an adult?  
  5. Anyone has a good shot at any guy or girl one wants:  Before going on the show, the girls (or guys) must be evaluated and researched to see if they will be compatible with their potential partners.
  6. Everyone is always happy and sober:  In reality, alcohol is unlimited and always available. People get sad or sentimental, happy or foolish, angry or mean when they get drunk, and that could ruin any date.
  7. The bachelor one meets will have a big house and a good financial standing:  In real life, people struggle at certain times; some never have money, and some do, but are unhappy.
  8. Participants in the show put their lives on hold to date on TV.  In reality, girls or guys cannot drop their everyday lives for months at a time in order to find a partner.
  9. Everyone has the perfect body:  In America, unfortunately, 36.5% of adults are obese.
  10. After the show everyone lives happily ever after: Here’s the truth on that one, according to online sources: “The Bachelor has been airing for 21 seasons now since 2002, only one couple from the show is couple is still together.”

So continue watching, as long as you realize that what you’re enjoying is fantasy only.  The reality of dating is far, far different.

• Life Doesn’t Imitate Art: Ten Lies We Learn from TV Dating Shows

Top Stories

Very Superstitious

Top Stories

Should Sex Determine Military Service?

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Three: Mind Control Mania

Top Stories

The Five Highest and Five Lowest Paying College Majors

Top Stories

No Sports Totally Safe for Student Athletes

Top Stories

What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Two: The Pentagon UFO Video-Is it ET or the Military?

Top Stories

The Down and Dirty on Eating Disorders

Top Stories

Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Top Stories

Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS