The Down and Dirty on Eating Disorders

Bailey Rock, Junior Staff Writer

One thing that can be said about most teens is that they LOVE to eat, whenever and whatever they can.  Consider for a moment how often you have the urge to eat. Recognize also that everyone has this necessary urge, and that everyone needs to eat to survive. The difference between those teens deemed as normal and those deemed sick and unstable is how they act when they get that hungry feeling. Those who suffer from an eating disorder succumb to  their illness over their need to eat to survive, and this becomes a tragedy for some. According to online sources, eating disorders affect approximately eight million men and women (primarily female teens) in the United States.  In addition, not everyone suffering shares the same types of disorder as the others affected. There are a few different types of eating disorders, but the two main ones are, Anorexia Nervosa, and Bulimia Nervosa.

Anorexia Nervosa is the most common type of disorder, and one in 200 women in America suffer from this disorder alone, according to Mirasol Eating Disorder Treatment Recovery Centers. This disorder is where the afflicted misinterprets her or his accurate body image and thus refrains from eating at all or as little as possible to lose weight to the point of starvation. “When you have anorexia, you often equate thinness with self-worth,” reports the Mayo Clinic. However, there are many more negative effects other than just the weight loss. Some other aspects of not receiving the nutrients to the body is bruising, depression, dry hair and nails, headaches, sensitivity to cold, and a slow heart. If not treated soon enough, anorexia can lead to larger health issues such as anemia, heart issues, kidney problems, and possible suicide.  

Bulimia Nervosa is the second most common eating disorder.  There are more than 200,000 affected in America each year, according to Mirasol. This order is based on the same issue, people struggle with their body image and control. This disorder occurs when those affected will binge eat, and  later take steps to avoid the weight gain, normally by vomiting, but also by excessively exercising or fasting. Some effects of this eating disorder are “sore throats, depression, low self-esteem, and abnormality of taste,” according to sources. Determining how to purge oneself of the food can also cause calluses on the knuckles and hands and discolored teeth of the affected ones.

Female teens or others suffering need help to get over the disorder.  When some HHS students were asked if they have ever known someone going through an eating disorder, junior Kyleigh Finamore responded, “It is difficult and hurts you to watch someone you love go through this, as if they feel they are not worth anything.”  Another junior, Chelsea Murphy stated, “I feel bad because there is not much I am capable of doing since a big part of an eating disorder has to do with mental health issues.” What many suffering don’t realize is that there are people all around, so there is someone to turn to. Mrs. Julianne Carsone, one of the counselors at Hubbard High explained, “If a student brings this issue to me, I will immediately call home and inform the guardian, and let the guardian and the student know that they need to go to a professional capable of giving the correct help needed. Once that is done, if the family would like to keep me involved, then I will be there for moral support.”

Overall eating disorders are very serious and not a subject that should be joked about, particularly among teens, because many suffer everyday from these problems. If you know someone suffering, or even if you are the one suffering, it is important that you get help in order to handle the disorder.

Source: https://www.mirasol.net/

Bailey Rock, Junior Staff Writer
  • Arriving in her junior year at Hubbard High School, Bailey Rock is starting as a first-year member of the HUB staff. Bailey enjoys expressing her views on current events in entertainment and sports. She joined the HUB staff hoping to convey her thoughts and feelings on important topics in the media.
  • Bailey is a hardworking student who is enrolled in honors American Literature, and senior class Anatomy, and the school yearbook. These academics keep Bailey busy, but she also dedicates time to her extracurriculars. She is enrolled in three of the clubs that Hubbard High School has to offer: the ASL, SADD, and Ecology Clubs. School is not the only activity that keep her busy, she also enjoys babysitting and helping around her community.
  • Bailey hopes to graduate maintaining her 3.8 GPA, with honors. After high school, Bailey wants to go to either Cleveland or Kent State University to obtain her undergraduate degree. Once she graduates, she would like to continue her college experience at Duke University in North Carolina to pursue her education in medicine. After she completes her time at Duke, she would complete her residency , then Bailey would like to put her medical practice to the test as an anesthesiologist at a highly ranked hospital.
  • Bailey is looking forward to her coming school year as HUB staff member and sharing articles with her fellow Hubbard High School peers.
  • The Down and Dirty on Eating Disorders

Top Stories

First Male Cheerleaders Make NFL History

Top Stories

Five Dangerous Teen Trends

Top Stories

The Sinful Side of the Catholic Church

Top Stories

The History of Hubbard Schools

Top Stories

Honors, CCP, AP: Which Choice is Right for You?

Top Stories

HHS Publications Captures Top Awards at YSU Press Day

Top Stories

Very Superstitious

Top Stories

Should Sex Determine Military Service?

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Three: Mind Control Mania

Top Stories

The Five Highest and Five Lowest Paying College Majors

The Down and Dirty on Eating Disorders