What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

Melody Castner, Junior Staff Writer

When cold winter temperatures roll in, many people want to stay indoors. However, no one can binge on Netflix every single night.  Many forget about all the exciting activities there are to do in the winter. There are tons of ways to enjoy this cold season and even get some exercise. These activities will keep one warm and entertained, so be sure to engage in a few of these before it’s too late, and winter is gone.

• Ice Skating– Ice skating is a challenging and thrilling activity that everyone should experience at least once in his/her lifetime. According to the Health Fitness Revolution online, “There are 10 Benefits to Ice Skating, including better balance, stress release, increased joint flexibility and mental health.” Skating also works the cardiovascular system. Ice skating is a fairly inexpensive activity; it usually only costs a few dollars to rent a pair of skates. There are several places that are not very far away from Hubbard High School that offer ice skating. Consider locations like the Covelli Center or Ice Zone in Boardman. Junior Chelsea Murphy states that “ice skating is fun. I like to try and do fancy tricks and impress my friends.” Tricks and impressions aside, ice skating is a great winter activity.
  • Sled Riding– The thrill of the is hill is why many people love this winter activity. Junior Claudia Flowers states, “I like to go sled riding with a group of friends; we always have a blast and end up laughing a lot”. It is also another form of exercise for the winter months. According to Sparkpeople online, a 118 lb. teen who sleds for 30 minutes can burn 175 calories. Think of the calories burned walking up the hill as well. Think of the boost of energy from being outside and being exposed to the sunlight as well. Sledding down a hill allows one to bring out his/her inner child and have a blast.
  • Walking in the Woods– Taking a walk in a winter wonderland is a great way to enjoy the season, and it’s a way to create an adventure. There are so many places to walk and explore. Watching the flakes of snow fall, and hearing the snow crunch under one’s feet is so enjoyable; who knows where the road will lead?
  • Build a Snowman– No matter how old someone is, building a snowman is something everyone does more than once in life, and truly enjoys. It is a challenging task that is a tradition for many people in the winter months. Create a traditional snowman or jazz it up and by putting a personal spin on the snowman’s looks. Junior Michael Curran explains, “I like to build snowmen because it is an expression of artistic creativity.” Yes, this activity can really can show one’s creative side.
  • Have a Snowball Fight– This is also a fun way to burn calories in the winter. Having a snowball fight is a great activity for all ages. Who doesn’t like to throw things at their friends? Junior Bailey Rock exclaims, “Snowball fights are so much fun in the winter. I love the contest and a chance to win!” Think of the famous movies that feature snowball fights: Remember Elf and Beauty and the Beast?  Who can forget these classics? Snowball fights leave everyone laughing and create longstanding memories.

All of these entertaining activities can be used as a form of stress relief. They are really a way to get someone’s mind off of everyday pressures like school and work. They allow one to enjoy the snow and outdoors while providing a good laugh. So don’t waste too much time as spring is around the corner.  Be sure to get outside and engage in a winter activity.

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/health/2013/02/18/sledding-for-fitness-and-fun/

http://www.nmbreakthroughs.org/fitness/family-fun-and-fitness-ice-skating

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=129

Melody Castner, Editor-in-Chief

Entering her senior year at Hubbard high school, Melody Castner is returning to the HUB as Editor-in-Chief this year. Melody joined the HUB because...

• What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

Top Stories

The Internet: A Predator’s Haven

• What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

Top Stories

What’s Your Sign? Intro to Astrology Series

• What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

Top Stories

Homecoming a Hit in 2018

• What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

Top Stories

Most and Least Educated States in the U.S.

• What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

Top Stories

Musical Background Enhances Student Performance In High School

• What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

Top Stories

Honors, CCP, AP: Which Choice is Right for You?

• What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

Top Stories

HHS Publications Captures Top Awards at YSU Press Day

• What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

Top Stories

Very Superstitious

• What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

Top Stories

Should Sex Determine Military Service?

• What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Three: Mind Control Mania

What to Do in a Winter Wonderland