Conspiracy Theories Part Three: Mind Control Mania

Max Korenyi-Both, Junior Staff Writer

Conspiracy Theorists list many outlandish ideas: Barack Obama was secretly a Muslim siding against the U.S., 911 was an inside job, Elvis isn’t dead, and secret groups control the world, to name a few.  Most of these theories people recognize as improbable and outlandish; however, there are some which suggest strong credibility. This third article in a series present another plausible one. Readers must make the final call.

Project MK-ULTRA was a code name for an experiment run by the CIA, states sources. This government-funded, secret program supposedly tested mind-control on human subjects through the use of drugs, electroshock therapy, hypnosis, isolation, sensory deprivation and sound repetition. Even verbal and physical abuse were elements sanctioned and utilized.  The project was initiated by Allen Dulles, head of the CIA in 1953, and was officially ended in 1973. The experiments were intended to develop drugs or other procedures to use in interrogations, but digressed into a mind control program. Most experiments were illegal and performed on U.S and Canadian citizens without their consent at locations like colleges, hospitals, prisons and pharmaceutical companies where the CIA had created fake organizations. The main goal behind this project was to fight against Soviet, Chinese and Korean Communism and to avert Fidel Castro.

Sources explain that the head of Project MK-ULTRA had almost all 20,000 documents destroyed after the operation was shut down. The few that weren’t destroyed presented much information that concerned the public. However, like almost all declassified information that gets released, the public soon forgot about it all. The information inside the files on Project MK-ULTRA showed how the CIA could place “mind-controlling” drugs into everyday products right in plain sight. LSD was the main drug the CIA would test. They began testing in closed environments which then escalated to giving LSD to others in the CIA without their knowledge. Some employees died, caused destruction, and often left with brain damage.

The declassified files suggest many questions and conspiracies behind the program. What was on the almost 19,000 files that were destroyed? Why did they have to be destroyed? A common belief is that the files contained specifics on more intense experiments than those in the reported, declassified files.  Students here at Hubbard High School reacted strongly. “I wouldn’t doubt that the CIA was doing more intense experiments. The CIA does some crazy stuff,” states senior Johnny O’Hara. “It scares me that the CIA destroyed some information and kept it from the public,” exclaims Junior Madi McGowan. “This is a government agency that’s supposed to be working to help us.”   “It sounds like an episode of Netflix’s Stranger Things,” responds junior Lukas Mosora.  And yes, the parallels to the popular Netflix sci-fi series are pretty significant.

Destruction of particular files leaves many to wonder what the experiments could have been. Often, when a CIA operation is shut down, the projects continue on a very top secret level. The CIA could possibly still be testing with more advanced and more disturbing procedures. The knowledge that it is very simple to hide mind-controlling drugs in products without the consumer knowing it is a nightmare in itself. “I always wonder if the way we live is just all controlled by the government or even something higher than the government,” expresses freshman Joe Langley.  Speculate that if the CIA could release these mind-controlling drugs into everyday products, it would give the government the ability to influence citizens towards one side on any event or opinion. What kind of a dystopian future could that produce? As in Orwell’s 1984, Big Brother could be manipulating us, not only through information access and technology, but through the subtle manipulation of our minds.

Sources

Max Korenyi-Both, Assitant Editor
Max Korenyi-Both is currently a senior at Hubbard High School, a second year HUB staff member and first year HUB staff Assistant Editor. He enjoys writing and reading new articles. He finds interest in conspiracy theories and many other current events. He hopes to show this interest through his articles, thus engaging his readers and...
  • Conspiracy Theories Part Three: Mind Control Mania

Top Stories

HHS Publications Captures Top Awards at YSU Press Day

Top Stories

Very Superstitious

Top Stories

Should Sex Determine Military Service?

Top Stories

The Five Highest and Five Lowest Paying College Majors

Top Stories

No Sports Totally Safe for Student Athletes

Top Stories

What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

Top Stories

Life Doesn’t Imitate Art: Ten Lies We Learn from TV Dating Shows

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Two: The Pentagon UFO Video-Is it ET or the Military?

Top Stories

The Down and Dirty on Eating Disorders

Top Stories

Does Technology Isolate Teens?