Should Sex Determine Military Service?

Chelsea Chaibi, Editor-in-Chief

On July 26th, 2017, President Donald Trump signed a directive banning transgenders from serving in the military. A recent RAND Study indicates that “there are an estimated 1,320–6,630 transgender service members in the active component” of the military

(studyhttps://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR1530.html ), but as of right now, those already in service may continue.  However, the Department of Defense is restricted from providing them medical treatment for reassignment surgery. “Estimates derived from data from surveys and private health insurance claims indicate that between 29 and 129 active service members could seek transition-related care that could ‘disrupt their ability to deploy,’ the study states.” Based on this statistic from the same study, much less than 10% of the transgender military population would be denied medical treatment.  Still, Trump’s action has caused an uproar in the LGBTQ community, and in some sections of the straight community as well. The Presidential decree has initiated both a philosophical and ethical debate. Should one’s sexual identity influence his/her ability to serve in the military? If one’s ability to serve is influenced by the need for medical treatment, is it the military’s obligation to provide this treatment in order to make a soldier deployable? Difficult questions in changing times.

Students here at HHS have to carefully consider their opinions on this action. Modern Conflicts teacher Mr. Tom King states, “People [transgenders] can serve, but I don’t want my tax dollars going towards the surgery that transgenders often get.” King is not the only one who shares this philosophy. According to online sources, there are other reasons some disapprove of transgenders serving in general: 1)the targeting of chaplains or other religious figures in the military will increase;  2) studies indicate that transgenders have higher suicide, anxiety and depression rates; and 3) the maintenance required to keep transgenders in “switch” or reassignment mode is expensive and could interfere with basic duties. Junior Andrew Addy states, “The suicide and depression rate are much higher in a situation of war, especially in those with gender dysphoria. With these people being unstable in such a way, they could jeopardize the chances of winning at war. This makes them a liability, not an asset.”

Contrastingly, those who approve of transgenders in the military state: 1) their admission provides for greater numbers to serve the country;  2) their acceptance shows no discrimination; 3) transgender’ suicide rates are actually lower than those of teens; and lastly 4) all transgenders don’t need expensive injections to continue their reassignment. Senior Darienne Morgan states, “Why should being transgender be a factor in serving our country? It doesn’t make sense to discriminate against someone for changing him or herself, so that person can love him or herself.” Morgan is not alone in these thoughts. In New York City and in other areas, protesters gathered to demonstrate their anger against this ban. https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Protesters-Gather-in-Times-Square-Against-Trump-Ban-on-Transgender-Troops-436841983.html   Junior Caily Tingler expresses her anger by stating, “There are more important things to be worried about. Transgenders’ medical problems are not the only health risks that take government money.”

America prides itself on its determination to “do the right thing,” but in an argument such as this one, there appears to be no clear ethical or philosophical choice. Just as times are changing, so is the social climate and its institutions, like the military. Serving the country is an honor, but many honors are based on the idea of restriction and elimination.  What those limitations should be continue to fuel the transgenders in the military controversy.

Source: http://www.debate.org/opinions/should-transgender-americans-be-allowed-to-serve-in-the-military

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/25/politics/trump-transgender-military/index.html

Chelsea Chaibi, Editor-in-Chief
  • Chelsea Chaibi is a senior at Hubbard High School and is returning to The HUB as the Editor- In- Chief.  She enjoys writing, and it has been a big part of her high school career. Chelsea also hopes to further her writing skills by focusing on intriguing aspects that interest her. After winning three awards at Press Day last year, she is determined to achieve more in this coming year and help other staff writers to achieve the same.
  • Chelsea is enrolled in CCP courses and maintains an A average. She is also the historian for the Hubbard High School Band, playing the clarinet. In her junior year, she was accepted into National Honor Society, and believes that this was of the most significant moments in her high school career. Chelsea is also in French, Ecology, and Rotary club. She is a dancer at Kristie’s Dance Studio and is the assistant teacher. She loves helping others succeed.
  • Chelsea hopes to get into Ohio State University to study radiology and minor in French. She loves learning a new language and studying the differences between French and English. She is excited for the future and plans to express that excitement through her writings this year.
  • Should Sex Determine Military Service?

Top Stories

First Male Cheerleaders Make NFL History

Top Stories

Five Dangerous Teen Trends

Top Stories

The Sinful Side of the Catholic Church

Top Stories

The History of Hubbard Schools

Top Stories

Honors, CCP, AP: Which Choice is Right for You?

Top Stories

HHS Publications Captures Top Awards at YSU Press Day

Top Stories

Very Superstitious

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Three: Mind Control Mania

Top Stories

The Five Highest and Five Lowest Paying College Majors

Top Stories

No Sports Totally Safe for Student Athletes

Should Sex Determine Military Service?