Different Learning Styles for Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Different Learning Styles for Students

Kelsey Tingler, Senior Staff Writer

Every student has a different learning technique. Do you know what type of learner you may be?  Some are more hands-on, while others learn better via lectures and notes. It is important to know what types of learning styles exist for students in the classroom in order to help them succeed.

A high school has a variety of different types of learners. For those who are hands-on learners, it is important to be placed in a classroom which allows that form of learning.  According to a study conducted at a medical school in India on first semester medical students, the most common learning technique was found to be “kinaesthetic”, which just another word for a hands-on learner. These types of learners need to be able to interact with the teacher, work on projects and presentations, and discuss topics with peers. This is how senior Taylor Pegg learns the best, and she explains, “I have to do the work myself in order for me to really understand the topic; however, I know more about a topic when I have to present something with my peers.” She is one of many students who prefer to learn using these techniques.

On the opposing side of hands-on learners, is visual learners. A visual learner is someone who prefers to see the work being done and would rather view presentations and material instead of doing the work themselves. A study conducted by SAGE journalists showed that about 40% of college students are visual learners and it is unlikely that these results differ much from those of high school students. This study showed that without the proper teaching techniques, students were found to be underperforming in classes. For these learners, the use of pictures, charts, diagrams, flash cards and examples are good techniques to use in the classroom in order to help students succeed both in present and future situations. Junior Hannah Johns agrees with this statement saying, “I am a visual learner, so pictures and examples help me learn a lot more than anything else.”

While there are more specific learning styles for students, each is categorized as either a hands-on or a more visual-auditory learner. Whether it is through lectures and notes or projects and discussion, it is important that in the end, every student successfully understands each and every topic discussed in the classroom; that way when he or she goes out into the real world, the graduate is prepared for all that is to come. This individual learning style emphasis gives educators a tough job, making sure that all of their students understand the discussed topics and teaching them how to succeed both in and out of the classroom.

Source:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3708205/

https://study.sagepub.com/learningstyle

Kelsey Tingler, Senior Staff Writer

Hubbard High School senior Kelsey Tingler is a first year HUB member. Kelsey wanted to join the HUB because of  her interest in writing and also because...

• Different Learning Styles for Students

News

The Signs and Their Traits

News

Friendships Fuel the Future

News

Egg Breaks World Record: No Poaching Permitted

News

The Opioid Epidemic

News

How Trauma in Today’s World Affects Students

News

The Danger of Diet Pills

News

The Obesity Epidemic in Teens

News

The Wave of the Future: Tablets vs. Textbooks

News

Growing Number of Teens Exhibit Mental Health Problems

News

Fake is the New Real: Reality TV

Different Learning Styles for Students