It’s No Puzzle Why Escape Rooms are Popular

Back to Article
Back to Article

Anna Pogacnik, Sophomore Staff Writer

What’s more fun than being locked in a room for 60 minutes on a Friday or Saturday night with nothing but a few clues and a little mental cooperation from your friends in order to help you escape? Apparently not much.  Escape rooms are a growing trend that many people have been paying to take part in. According to Scott Nicholson, professor and game designer, one of the great advantages is that “they involve teamwork, communication, and delegation as well as critical thinking, attention to detail, and lateral thinking.”

Basically, the players are locked in a theme-based room for 60 minutes, and they have to decipher clues to help solve various puzzles that will ultimately lead them to escape, hence the name “escape room”.  Puzzle clues might be linguistic, scientific, mechanical, verbal or artistic, so they really require of group with varied talents to be able to solve the mystery within the allotted time.

According to online sources, this trend originated in Japan; however, within the last few years many escape rooms have been popping up all across America. Since the year 2014, the number of escape rooms in the U.S. has grown to over 2,000, and it’s no wonder why they are so popular. “I recently went to an escape room and it was a lot of fun. The puzzles were challenging, but my group and I were able to escape,” stated sophomore, Mia Langley. The challenging puzzles help to give guests a sense of accomplishment, plus it’s much more unique than just going to a movie. “In our fast paced world of technology, it is nice to see something like an escape room bringing people together,” said sophomore, Courtney Amrich.

Another plus to these rooms is the fact that player groups are so diversified.  There isn’t just one demographic that these rooms appeal to. The chart below breaks down the game groups:

Source: https://oveit.com/blog/2016/07/12/why-are-escape-rooms-so-popular-stats-and-figures/

So if you’re stuck on a Friday or Saturday night with nowhere to go or nothing to do, consider something new and challenging in an escape room.  Each room will have its own narrative, and will follow a particular theme-another aspect that adds to the popularity. Are you ready for some immersive, challenge-based fun?

Source: https://getoutgames.com/why-escape-rooms-are-so-popular/