The Importance of Labor Day

Daniella Hosack, Senior Staff Writer

Many people do not quite know why Labor Day is important in the United States, although they should. According to online sources, in the late 19th century, the labor union movement created the idea of a day of rest for hard workers, making Labor Day an official business holiday in 1894.  Labor Day is celebrated traditionally on the first Monday of September and was just recently celebrated this year on September 2nd. This holiday holds a high importance in our society and many traditions have been passed down in the decades of its existence. 

This holiday was created originally as a tribute to American workers for their dedication and contributions to this society. In simple terms, it is an honorary day for the workers who don’t get recognition for their diligence and toil.  Students should be aware that Labor Day is significant, just like its founders. Sophomore Brooke Myer commented, “Labor Day recognizes the hard-working Americans who contribute each and every day to our country.” 

This holiday is typically recognized as the end of summer for many Americans and is celebrated in a variety of ways. Parties are the most common tradition for Labor Day, as alcohol and red, white, and blue-themed dishes are brought to family gatherings. Senior Grace Ryser shared, “On Labor Day, my family will host a pool party including a barbeque.”  Other events happen on this holiday such as: parades, sport competitions, festivals, and concerts. 

Additionally, a common tradition shared among many Americans is the act of wearing the color white for the last time for the remainder of the year. This weird tradition actually has a history behind it, explains online sources. “This old tradition goes back to the late Victorian era, where it was a fashion faux pas to wear any white clothing after the summer officially ended on Labor Day. The tradition isn’t really followed anymore– white indicated you were still in vacation mode at your summer cottage.”

Labor Day is crucial to the workers of America as they finally get a day to relax

and acknowledge their devotion to our economy and their representations through  American labor unions. Sierra Roy, member of the class of 2023, stated, “Labor Day gives hard workers a day to rest and reflect on the year of work that has passed.”  Hopefully, after this article, and the next time you are “laboring” at any job anywhere, you will recognize how important your work effort really is.

Source: https://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-dont-we-work-on-labor-day