Elon Musk: Space X, Tesla and Neuralink–Inspiration for the Future

Nick Capuzello, Senior Staff Writer

In times like these when the world is dealing with its first ever national pandemic, everyone needs inspiration. Someone to inspire perseverance in times of adversity, determination in times of setback.  A man who provides this today, not only for high school students, but for all, is creator, inventor and progressive entrepreneur Elon Musk. Students and adults alike can learn much from his story.

Elon Musk just might be one of the greatest minds of this era. His journey, however, was not was not always smooth sailing. Growing up in South Africa, he came from a single-parent household and was often the target of bullying. He then moved to Canada before finally settling down in the United States. In the United States, he attended the University of Pennsylvania as a physics major. As of right now, he either owns or is a part owner in several different companies, SpaceX, Tesla, The Boring Company, Zip2, Solar City, PayPal, OpenAI, and has recently started on his eighth Neuralink. With SpaceX, Tesla, and Neuralink being the most revolutionary. 

But among all of his accomplishments, SpaceX is arguably the most groundbreaking. Founded in 2002, SpaceX is one of the biggest commercial space companies in the United States, sources state. Musk’s  main goal with SpaceX is to reduce the cost of space transportation to help enable colonization of Mars. SpaceX has had many great achievements over the years. One is the first landing of an orbital class rocket. On December 21, 2015 SpaceX successfully landed the Falcon 9 at Landing Zone 1 after delivering 11 communication satellites into orbit. Another great achievement of SpaceX is the world’s first relaunch of an orbital class rocket. On March 30th, 2017 SpaceX successfully sent the Falcon 9 back into orbit. After delivering payloads into orbit, it successfully landed for the second time. Most HHS students are intrigued by the idea of space transportation and colonization. Many are learning, thanks to Musk, that the “…galaxy far, far away…,” to cite Star Wars, is moving closer and closer all the time.  For more on Space X, view the YouTube video below. 

It goes without saying that Tesla is another of Musk’s greatest accomplishments. Many students here at Hubbard High are intrigued by the technology used by Tesla, and everyone recognizes the name.  Senior Cody Stere said “I hope I can own a Tesla one day.” Musk  revolutionized the auto industry with Tesla. Although Tesla didn’t invent the electric car, they improved it exponentially and popularized it. According to online sources, Tesla vehicles have the longest running  range out of all electric cars due to its battery. Teslas have a 85 kWh lithium-ion battery that weighs 1,200 pounds. With this battery, the Tesla Roadster which has the longest battery life out of all of the Tesla models can drive up to 600 miles without needing to be recharged. Senior Albert Gerlick said “The fact that a car can drive this far with a battery is truly astonishing.”  And it is astonishing, but astonishing seems to be what Elon Musk does best.  

However, not all of Musk’s work has been praised. His most recent project, Neuralink,  is very controversial. Neuralink, which was started in 2016 and just recently revealed to the public in June of 2019, is still in its early stages, sources state. It is a chip that can be implanted into one’s brain to bind with brain electrodes and then communicate with computers outside of the brain. Senior Scott Jimison states,“I don’t think Neuralink is a good idea; God made your brain the way it is for a reason.” Yet, there are many advantages to this technology, which is being used to try and help neurological conditions such as Alzheimer’s, dementia, and spinal cord injuries. Sources further explain that Neuralink is currently experimenting with a pig named Gertrude that has had the Neuralink chip implanted in its head for 4 months. The Neuralink chip is connected to the pig’s snout so whenever the pig touches something the neuralink sends beeps to a computer. For more information on Neuralink, check out the YouTube video below.

So as all of us look for inspiration in times that seem more than simply challenging, let us consider all the controversy and doubt that Elon Musk had to overcome to realize his dreams. We should not let the adversity of this pandemic limit us then, but we should instead follow Musk’s inspiration and look for ways to achieve all that we hope and strive for.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53956683#:~:text=Gertrude%20the%20pig%20had%20the%20chip%20implanted%20two%20months%20ago&text=The%20interface%20could%20allow%20people,disease%20and%20spinal%20cord%20injuries.

https://www.spacex.com/mission/