The Benefits of Working in High School

The Benefits of Working in High School

Adrienne Elliot, Junior Staff Writer

I know you must be thinking to yourself right now, “Great, another lesson on saving money.” Well, that’s not the case here. Many people who work throughout high school and college gain benefits other than the stereotypical savings accounts or employee discounts. Skills like time management, patience, and responsibility are common traits. While working, you are responsible for what your position entitles you to do. No one is there to keep you accountable. You are there to do your part, and in return, get paid. This can translate into having the responsibility to do your work at school and study. In the future, responsibility can improve your life by preventing debt, create conscientiousness when scheduling annual health appointments or acting as a caregiver for children or animals. Responsibility will eventually help you get better grades and even a raise. Brianna Scarmack, a junior here at Hubbard High, is already taking initiative. “I’m learning how to manage my time and be more responsible,” she says.

When balancing between work and school, you often need to plan ahead to do simple everyday tasks that you used to procrastinate on. Studying for a test is no longer a night-before activity when you work night shifts, and even something as simple as mowing the grass will require time management. Time-management is a huge benefit as you will take the trait and run with it in life and in school. According to an online source titled Youth First, teens who work in high school have a better graduation rate. Additionally, the article states: “According to the U.S. Department of Labor, for every year a person works in their teens, their income raises 14-16 percent in their 20s.” So not only will working benefit you by improving your time management skills, it will also guarantee you a better income in your 20’s.

With increased responsibility and better time management, you will reduce stress, get better sleep, and improve grades for further education. Kennedy Evans, a junior, reflects on how work changed her for the better: “I am learning to be more responsible with my time.  I had to learn really quickly how to manage my work hours while being responsible enough to complete all my school work and keep my grades up, even if it meant not getting to hang with my friends as much as I used to.” 

So will there be sacrifices that you have to make when you take on a part-time job?  Yes, absolutely, but the benefits are so much more.  In the future then, before you roll your eyes at your parents because they plead with you to get a job, maybe consider all the good that can come from an early interest in expanding your bank account.

Sources:https://youthfirstinc.org/teen-employment-many-benefits/