How Teachers Cope in 2020, and How You Can Make a Difference

Mallory Greenamyer, Senior Staff Writer

Due to the global pandemic, the following is a typical schedule for a 2020 teacher:

• 6:00 a.m. – Rise and shine
  • 7:00 a.m. – Check email and respond to any student questions
  • 7:15 a.m. – Make hard copies for today’s lessons
  • 7:30 a.m. – Start the school day by lecturing on a new chapter (remember to record the lesson)
  • 9:00 a.m. – Make three sets of lesson plans: one for cohort A, one for cohort B, and one for remote classes
  • 10:00  a.m. – Make a loom video of yourself talking because you forgot to do it earlier
  • 12:00 p.m. – Lunch time! Just kidding, spend this time organizing work for students while munching on the side
  • 1:00 p.m. – Use P/C to host a zoom meeting with students who don’t understand a lesson
  • 1:30 p.m. – Respond to more emails
  • 2:30 p.m. – Attend an hour long afterschool meeting
  • 3:30 p.m. – Grade student work and record it in Progress Book
  • 4:00 p.m. – Go to your second job
  • 6:30 p.m. – Make dinner for family
  • 7:30 p.m. – Help your children with their homework
  • 8:00 p.m. – Prepare school supplies for tomorrow
  • 9:00 p.m. – Go to bed early because you are EXHAUSTED

This year has changed the way people live their everyday lives, how they interact with others, and more importantly, how they do their jobs. This is especially true for teachers. What would have been approximately an 8 hour work day, has turned into over 12 hours of a non-stop commitment to teaching. The final bell does not signal the end of work; rather, it signals the beginning of the long “rest of the day.”

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the average age for teachers in Ohio is 42 years old. Furthermore, according to Business Insider, 30% of Coronavirus cases are among people ages 20-44. Not only are teachers stressed over school work, but they also have to worry about their health. Every day, teachers at Hubbard High School are exposed to students who may be asymptomatic carriers of the Coronavirus. The stress of just that unknown would make any normal person go crazy.

Most people would guess that it’s difficult to handle three different groups of children at one time. Most people would guess that work days during a pandemic would be longer than normal. However, there are plenty of problems that people never really think about when it comes to teaching. When asked what are some unexpected hardships under this new education system, Mr. Rodney Greenamyer, a Hubbard High School English teacher, states, “I never realized how hard it would be to keep track of grades and make videos, especially when I have to utilize technology I’ve never seen before.” Evaluations and adequately preparing students for the next school year are a part of the long list of tasks teachers stress over.  

In order to make this year less tiresome for teachers, here are a list of things parents and students can do to make teachers’ lives a little easier:

• Put your school work ahead of a part time job. It’s understandable to want to earn money while also going to school. However, it’s important to put your school work ahead of anything else. Remote days are to be used to learn, not to have a part time job. When possible, try to schedule your work day after 2:30. This way you can take any tests or homework given by your teachers at a reasonable time. 
  • Don’t wait to ask. It’s important to ask any questions you may have as soon as possible. Teachers would rather take care of a problem early, rather than hours, days, or weeks later.
  • Please don’t resubmit a paper that is given back; it’s for you to keep. Sometimes, a teacher will return a student’s work after grading it so that they know their score. However, there is no need to “resubmit” a paper once it has already been graded. All this does is flood that particular teacher’s email with notifications. 
  • Be patient. This is all so new, especially for teachers who may not be so tech-savvy. Some older teachers may have a hard time setting up programs. It’s important to be understanding of this current situation. This could also mean that there may be more of a time lag in getting grades back. Teachers have lives outside of school and aren’t always able to put grades in immediately. Be patient. 
  • Email during school/office hours. Need help with your work? Email your teachers during their office hours which can be found on the Hubbard School website. Refrain from asking questions at night; most teachers won’t be able to respond. 
  • Keep up with deadlines. Last spring grades were the least of people’s worries; however, this year, grades will be like normal. This means that it’s important to meet deadlines and to do your best work. Teachers find it helpful when students don’t bombard them with late work at the end of the nine weeks.

So the next time you see your teachers, think about how hard they work just to give you a proper education. Drop them an email or tell them in person how much you appreciate their dedication.

https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/sass/tables/sass1112_2013314_t1s_002.asp https://www.businessinsider.com/30-percent-us-coronavirus-cases-people-between-ages-20-44-2020-3