The Pros and Cons of Online Schooling for Students

Michael Scoville, Junior Staff Writer

As most students, teachers and administrators sadly know, during the month of March in 2020, all Ohio schools were closed due to covid-19. Therefore, both students and teachers had to adjust to online learning. It was a very different experience for everyone. Even though school has reopened, some students still work mainly through a flipped classroom, doing much work online. Since online learning is here to stay, it is good to examine the several pros and cons to this experience from the student perspective

According to Cam McMillen, a junior at Hubbard High School, “The pros of online school are primarily that you don’t have to go out, and you don’t have to risk contracting COVID-19. Another benefit is that you are able to sleep in a little extra and still get your work done.” Most students like the idea of online schooling because they have the privilege of sleeping in. However, late morning starts aren’t always the case. Some schools or teachers require their students to be up at a certain time and be ready for Zoom meetings. According to Elijah Chambers, another junior at Hubbard High school, “Some pros of online schooling are that it teaches us to be more responsible and forces us to be more like adults.” 

The online experience is definitely what most older students will experience in some form or another when they head off to college, so beginning this experience a little early is not a bad thing by any means.  According to an online Minnesota State article, there are certain qualities or characteristics displayed by successful online learners: 1) Persistence, 2) Effective Time-Management Skills, 3) Communication Skills, 4) Basic Technical Skills, 5) Reading and Writings Skills, 6) Motivation and Independence, and lastly, 7) A Good Study Environment.  If a student is lax in more than one or two of these areas, undoubtedly, the transition will be difficult.

Although there are several pros to online schooling, there are also many cons. According to an online article in US News, both high school and undergraduate college students listed the following negative aspects: “Technical issues, Distractions and time management, Staying motivated, Understanding course expectations, Lack of in-person interaction, Adapting to unfamiliar technology, and Uncertainty about the future.” There are solutions to many of these issues, and some learned to adjust rather quickly, but for many, remote learning became a nightmare.  Junior Cam Mcmillen elaborated saying, “You aren’t getting the in-class teaching that you are used to. For some people, like myself, it is harder to learn and get used to a new system.” This learning adjustment can be difficult for many students because children learn in different ways. Some kids learn through a more hands-on approach, while others are more auditory learners or even note takers. Audio lessons may work effectively for auditory learners, but other learners might suffer.

In conclusion, the change to online schooling has had several effects on students. There are many different pros and cons to the situation. At the end of the day, students like Cam and Elijah were able to adapt to the circumstances and continue on with the school year. Was it their persistence, their personalities, or the environment that helped them to survive? It’s hard to say, but one thing is certain: both teachers and students are  trying their best. So, do not give up and keep pushing forward. Just believe in yourself.

Sources: https://careerwise.minnstate.edu/education/successonline.html

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/how-to-overcome-challenges-of-online-classes-due-to-coronavirus