The Importance of Veterans Day

The Importance of Veterans Day

Abbey Johns, Junior Staff Writer

Veterans Day is a time of honor for all military personnel who served in any war involving the United States. Veterans Day is celebrated for both living and deceased soldiers, although it’s largely intended to thank living veterans for their sacrifices. This day, November 11th, was originally called Armistice Day, commemorating the end of World War I.  History.com sources state: “In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower officially changed the name from Armistice Day to Veterans Day.  The term “armistice” was too closely associated with armistice that ended the Korean War without a clear victory, prompting the holiday to be renamed.” However, other sources don’t credit Eisenhower with the name change as it is never mentioned in any of his correspondence, so the source of this naming is still somewhat unclear.  One thing is clear: that it’s a respected holiday recognized by all Americans, which reminds us of our respect for veterans and their service to our American democracy.  Flags aren’t usually hung at half mast because it is not a day of mourning, but a day of honor and celebration. A period of silence lasting two minutes may be held at 11am on Veterans Day to give respect to both dead and living soldiers. 

One question many consider on this day is how much they know about our military.  There are five branches in the United States, which all specialize in different areas to come together and lead us to victory in times of war. The Army is the main ground-force of the United States. The primary mission of the Air Force is to defend the U.S. through exploitation of space and air. The Navy maintains the freedom of the seas. The Marine Corps specializes in amphibious operations. Lastly, The Coast Guard assigns ships, boats, aircraft, and shore stations to a variety of missions.

“The military men and women who serve and protect the U.S. come from all walks of life; they are parents, children, neighbors, siblings, grandparents, friends and coworkers.” Junior Grace Narkum explains, “Veterans Day is a way of celebrating my dad and what he worked so hard to accomplish, I like honoring him and all that he did. He’s a role model to me and he deserves to be recognized for all he’s done for me, my family, and his country.” Many students at Hubbard have relatives or others whom they may know in the military. You may never know when you walk down the street if the old man struggling to cross the road with his cane is a WWII veteran, or if the strong man who holds the door for you is on military leave to see his kids for Christmas. Natalie Herzberger, a senior at Hubbard High School, states, “Veterans Day is a very special day to me. A lot of my family members are in the service so I think it’s wonderful that they have their own special day to honor their hard work. It takes a special person to join the military and fight for our country.”

“Thank you for your service and sacrifice to save our country” is a perfect phrase of gratitude to use to compliment all and any veterans. Thank any veteran you see this November 11th!

https://www.stripes.com/blogs-archive/the-rumor-doctor/the-rumor-doctor-1.104348/why-was-armistice-day-renamed-veterans-day-1.161174#.X7GmQshKj84https://www.history.com/topics/holidays/veterans-day-facts