COVID-19 Booster Shots Aid in Overcoming COVID-19 Crisis

Adam Pogacnik, Freshman Staff Writer

The C.D.C. endorsed booster shots of the Moderna and the Johnson and Johnson COVID-19 vaccines just one month after the endorsement of the Pfizer-BioNTech booster shots to tens of millions of Americans. The question is, what does this mean for recipients and who should receive these booster shots?

Individuals 65 years and older who received a Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine are now eligible for a booster shot six months or more after their second dose, along with recipients aged 18 or older who either live in long-term care settings, have underlying medical conditions, or who work or live in high-risk settings, as stated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Booster shots are also highly recommended for those who are 18 and older and who have received the Johnson and Johnson COVID-19 vaccine two or more months previous. 

“These recommendations are another example of our fundamental commitment to protect as many people as possible from COVID-19. The evidence shows that all three COVID-19 vaccines authorized in the United States are safe – as demonstrated by the over 400 million vaccine doses already given. And, they are all highly effective in reducing the risk of severe disease, hospitalization, and death, even in the midst of the widely circulating Delta variant,” says Dr. Rochelle P. Walensky, director of the C.D.C.

There have also been recent updates shared by the Food and Drug Administration that allows medical providers to give recipients a booster shot that is different from the vaccine they initially received, which has now become a strategy known as “mix and match.”

“If I were of the age to get the booster shot and there was research that suggests mix and matching helps to provide me with a stronger immune system protecting me from harmful effects of COVID-19, I don’t see why I wouldn’t get it,” stated Hubbard High School freshman, Ayah Mufleh, in response of the “mix and match” strategy endorsement.

Many experts are beginning to explain that this action, however, should not distract from those who haven’t yet taken the first step in getting vaccinated for COVID-19. Specifically, more than 65 million Americans remain unvaccinated and they are said to be leaving themselves unprotected and vulnerable. Available and recent data help to show that all three of the COVID-19 vaccines authorized in the United States continue to be greatly effective in reducing major health risks. “Vaccines can help prevent the spread of diseases and major health risks while ultimately contributing to one’s overall well-being,” stated Hubbard High School freshman, Gianna Rotunno. The C.D.C. explains that vaccination remains to be the best way to protect yourself and slow the spread of the virus, while also helping to prevent new variants of the virus from emerging.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p1021-covid-booster.html

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-takes-additional-actions-use-booster-dose-covid-19-vaccines