Pretend It’s The End

Pretend It’s The End

Sara Sahagun, Senior Staff Writer

The end of the world is something that everyone thinks about. How will it end? Why? When? These are questions that hopefully won’t be answered in your lifetime, but it gives you something to ponder about. 

Bombs Away:   It’s crazy to think that a creation made by mankind could be the very reason why the world will end. Nuclear weapons, like atomic bombs, could easily wipe out the Earth if the quantity and strength of bombs were great enough. Atomic weapons exert the most destructive level of power possible to be produced by a human being. By splitting an atom, entire civilizations can be diminished. Not only do these weapons wipe out anything in the path of the fireball produced, anything in its radius will remain contaminated for years. Guillermo Sahagun, a sophomore at Hubbard High School states, “ If we ever go to war and multiple nuclear weapons are used, I truly believe that we will destroy our own planet, and we will all come to an end.” 

Gamma-Ray Takeover: Gamma rays are created when stars collide or when they collapse into blackholes. Gamma ray bursts are the brightest explosions that can ever occur. Though this is unlikely to be the cause of the end of the world, it is possible that the world ends due to a gamma ray burst. If the burst directly hits our planet, serious damage will occur. When a gamma ray burst penetrates the ozone layer, it destroys our atmosphere and protection against the sun. 

A Melting World: Global warming: this is the negative effect that humans have caused on this planet. The possibility of the world ending due to our own practices and carelessness is huge. As humans continue to pollute the Earth, we destroy our atmosphere, causing a change in climate. Eventually, the ice caps will be melted and all land could potentially “disappear” under water. Jaden Johnston, a senior at Hubbard High Schoolremarks, “At this point, it’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when. We can only attempt to slow down the destruction of our atmosphere.” Once the damage is done, it can’t be reversed. 

There is no way to know for sure how the world will come to an end. There’s no way to know for sure that it will come to an end, at least any time soon. However, these theories may give you a different perspective on the topic. 

“Destroyer of Worlds”: The Making of an Atomic Bomb | The National WWII Museum | New Orleans (nationalww2museum.org)

Why Some Scientists Predict A Gamma-Ray Burst Could End The World (grunge.com)

7 Most Famous Theories On How The World Will End | Tech Times