A Guide to Kindness

A Guide to Kindness

Christina Badurik, Sophomore Staff Writer

Throughout a school career, it is instilled in each student’s mind to be kind to their peers. Starting from the youngest years, children are told “Be a bucket filler!” Once that gets old, the expression turns into “Treat others like you want to be treated.” But what happens when students lose sight of this important quality? It’s important to carry these ideas through school and life because one never knows how much of an impact these values can make. It never hurts to be kind. According to www.randomactsofkindess.org, “Perpetually kind people have 23% less cortisol (the stress hormone) and age slower than the average population!.” So being kind to others is beneficial to the giver as well. Here are some of the easiest ways to do so:

A little bit goes a long way. Kindness doesn’t have to be shown in the form of some grand gesture. Kindness is as simple as complimenting someone on his or her clothes or hair. “One time at school someone told me that my hair looked nice. Now every time I wear my hair like that, I think of this compliment and smile. It took them two seconds to say something that has stuck with me for such a long time,” stated freshman Emalie Esmail. So next time you think somebody looks nice or has cool shoes, speak up and let them know.  

The next way to show kindness is to help someone in need. Almost daily a student drops books or trips over something. Stopping to help this student could eliminate stress and embarrassment, and will probably make that student’s  day. “When simple incidents happen like dropping my pencil pouch and things spill out, it always makes me feel better when somebody jumps in to help,” remarked sophomore Evan Flynn.

Another method of kindness is inclusiveness. Inclusiveness is an act of kindness that can change a life. When someone feels included, it boosts his or her confidence and comfort. It is important that each person feels a sense of belonging in life. Nobody can achieve this feeling without being a part of something. If you see someone sitting alone, call them over to sit with you. When a new student comes to school, get to know them. Sophomore Caroline Capuzello experienced a stellar example of inclusion, “When I was first starting drama club last year, I was shy and nervous that I wouldn’t have anyone to talk to. A girl named Noelle started talking to me, and it made rehearsal one of the best parts of my day. She also helped me come out of my shell. Ever since that day, we have been close friends.”

One last way to be kind and probably the most fun way too, is through Random Acts of Kindness. A foundation called Random Acts of Kindness encourages people to make kindness the norm. Throughout their years of having a platform, they have posted countless ideas and resources on the implementation of kindness through their website www.randomactsofkindness.org. Some interesting ideas they have introduced to anyone who has visited the website are to compliment drivers on how well they parked, create bookmarks and donate them to a library, and leave quarters at the laundromat for somebody else to use. It is small but unique acts like these that can improve society just by putting a smile on someone’s face.

All in all, kindness is something with limitless options and is the simplest way to change a life. For the benefit of yourself and those around you, make kindness a part of your lifestyle.