Girard’s Hot Second Half Drowns Eagles

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girard’s Hot Second Half Drowns Eagles

Julia Clemente

Julia Clemente

Julia Clemente

Bill Heath, Sports Editor

Hubbard came into Girard following last Friday, November 30th’s LaBrae loss with a chip on their shoulder.  Feeling that  they’re being underestimated throughout the area, they want to silence their critics.  However, despite playing hard, they’ll have to wait another week.  Hubbard fell to Girard on Friday Night by a score of 55-50.

The first quarter looked ugly at the start with the score at 12-3 in favor of Girard.  Aaron Loveless answered with 6 first quarter points, putting it to 14-9.  In the second half, the Eagles caught fire on both sides of the ball with Loveless and sophomore Isiah Scott, who was making his first career start, lead the charge.  In the third, the Eagles were outscored by 7, which cut their halftime lead.  During the fourth, the Eagles fell quickly and were forced to play catch-up the rest of the quarter.  Darnell Tate and Jordan Thompson tried to rally their team in the closing seconds, but ultimately came up short.  The Eagles were  unable to stop Girard from downtown, surrendering six three’s.

Hubbard’s fans traveled well, as did their student section, which the players noticed and appreciated.  After several post-game interviews, the general consensus was shock. They knew that this one slipped away and that it had to be pulled out.  Aaron Loveless led with 16, while Darnell Tate and Isiah Scott posted 8 apiece.  The JV’s record improved to 1-1 as they were lead by Derek Kopanic with 15 points.  Support your Eagles this Friday in Austintown, against Fitch.