Clubs and Extracurriculars-Part 3

Clubs and Extracurriculars-Part 3

Maggie Herberger, Senior Staff Writer

As students determine their schedules for next year, it is always good to have some background on what extracurricular clubs are available for something other than academic involvement.  Well-rounded students boast a combination of both good academics and extracurriculars, and HHS offers a variety of clubs which provide the opportunity for students to get involved. Throughout the year, I have been highlighting those clubs to provide students with a true picture of each. This week I am highlighting our scholastic clubs: Rotary Interact, Students Against Destructive Decisions, Speech and Debate, and Mock Trial. 

Rotary Interact as well as Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) are two service clubs advised by Mrs. Mary Bebech. Rotary Interact is an interactive group where students help to give back to  the community. Already this year Rotary Interact has volunteered at the Rotary Auction, collected toilet paper, held a personal item drive, and rung the Salvation Army Bell.  All these activities helped community members who were needy in some way.  When asked about Rotary Interact Alex Frank, senior,  said: “ I really enjoy that Rotary Interact service projects are centered around our community; it teaches us to give back.” 

The president of SADD, a sort of self-help organization extended to others, is senior Kenny Romo. When asked why he enjoys being president of SADD, Kenny said; “I enjoy informing individuals on important decisions that they make need to make in their lives. I also enjoy being a leader.” SADD is an organization where students discuss making wise choices that will benefit them over a lifetime. An upcoming event that SADD is assisting with is Kirsten’s Closet. Kirsten’s Closet gives away free prom dresses to all individuals who pledge not to drink and drive. When asked her opinion of SADD, Emily Capone, senior, stated: “SADD is a great club that helps spread awareness for the important decisions that we deal with as teens.” 

The Speech and Debate team is rather new to Hubbard High School. Mr. Chris Moriarty advises the team, which competes against other schools from the surrounding area.  Categories can include dramatic and extemporaneous competitions, to name a few.  This is a club that is growing, and those students who love to express their opinions, and can articulate, are best suited to this extracurricular. 

Mock Trial is run by Mrs. Deborah Wack. According to the American Mock Trial Association online site: “Through engaging in trial simulations in competition with teams from other institutions, students develop critical thinking and public speaking skills, as well as a knowledge of legal practices and procedures.”  So if you are a student with an interest in law, then this club is for you.  The Mock Trial team recently competed in the district mock trial competition, which took place at the Trumbull County courthouse, located in Warren Ohio.  Each member of the team takes on a specific role, whether it be an attorney, or a witness. This year’s senior Mock Trial team consisted of: Defense attorneys Caroline Scarvel and Kenny Romo; Plaintiffs  Hannah Garner and Thomas McFall;  and Witnesses Hannah Haynie, Caroline Scarvel, Morgan McGowen, Paige Freisen, Nick Adduci, and Harry Pasku. 

So there you have it.  If you are service minded, concerned with making smart choices, articulate, literate and strongly opinionated, there is an offering for you.  Please consider getting involved, as involvement will make your high school years so much more memorable.