Football Wrap Up: Eagles Soar in 2018

Andrew Frank, Sophomore Staff Writer

This August, it had been almost a year since the Eagles had played a football game, and they were itching to get back on the field. After a 5-5 2017 season, the Eagles had high hopes coming into 2018, with key players returning on both sides of the ball, along with some new players.

Initial reaction among all the players was strong.  “ I think our team can go 10-0; we have the talent and the coaching, and we put in the hard work all offseason,” stated sophomore linebacker Kobe Krisuk. The Eagles almost made that a reality: their first and only loss was to East on October 26th.  The Eagles sacrificed that game by only five points, with a final score of 26-21.

On the defensive side, senior linebacker Lukas Mosora returned to lead the Eagles defense after a stellar junior season where he recorded 162 tackles 5 sacks, 4 fumbles, and 2 interceptions, according to aacohio.net.  Another returning Eagle is senior Quarterback Davion Daniels, who threw for 1017 yards and 8 touchdowns and also ran for 829 yards with 11 touchdowns. Fellow captain Ralph Morales returns for his highly anticipated senior season after rushing for 1478 yards and 18 touchdowns in his sophomore season, according to WKBN.com.

Week 1- Alliance August 24th:   Their first game on August 24th was against the Alliance Aviators at their home stadium. The hard work surely paid off, with the Eagles beating the Aviators 49-0 at halftime; yes that’s right, HALFTIME. Hubbard would continue their dominance in the second half, beating Alliance 49-13, with three total touchdowns coming from Daniels, with Morales and junior Running back Jermia Harris adding for two a piece. Seniors Lukas Mosora, Shannon Slovesko, and JayQuan Odem all added with one of their own.

Week 2- Girard August 31th: After a strong start, the Eagles kept their momentum going when the visiting Girard Indians came to town, and this team proved to be a tough challenge and a true test of their skills as a team. “ We all knew it was going to be a tough game, and that we were going to have to play our best football,” said Senior Safety Jamie Thompson when asked about the mindset of the players going into the game. Still, the Eagles finished with 43 points to Girard’s 32.

Prior to the game on August 31, it was voted to be WKBN’s “Game of the Week,” and it proved to be a great game with both sides playing with their hearts out. In the end, Hubbard came out victorious, thanks to Senior Quarterback Davion Daniels, who accounted for six touchdowns, three on the ground, and three in the air. Hubbard would prove themselves to be the team to beat.

Week 3- Edgewood September 7th: In the third week, on September 7, the Eagles faced off with the Edgewood Warriors at Hubbard Memorial Stadium. Hubbard continued strongly to maintain their  3-0 record, and repeat the success they had at Edgewood the year prior, and they did just that, beating them this time 62-12. Daniels threw for three touchdowns, and ran for another three. Odem caught two of them, and Junior Bray Donlow also caught one.  Jermia Harris, Lukas Mosora, and Freshman Nick Vansuch also ran for a touchdown each.  Hubbard is ranked 3rd in Division IV, proving that all the hard work is paying off, Good Luck Guys! Go Eagles!

Week 4- Lakeview September 14th: After starting the season 3-0, the Eagles stayed red hot and traveled to play the Lakeview Bulldogs on September 14th. The Bulldogs were another team who Hubbard wanted revenge on after losing to them 7-6 the year prior. The Eagles did get their revenge, beating Lakeview by a score of 49-7. Senior Running Back Ralph Morales ran for over 100 yards and three touchdowns. Along with fellow Senior Davion Daniels rushing for two touchdowns one passing touchdown to Junior Bray Donlow. Junior Running Back Jermia Harris also ran for a touchdown.

Week 5- Howland September 21th: Next up on the Eagles’ schedule was the Howland Tigers, yet another team who beat the Eagles the previous year. On September 21, the Eagles were scheduled to play the Tigers at 7:00 PM, but due to weather delays, didn’t start the game until about 8:30 PM. The dark sky and wet field didn’t stop the Eagles though, with Hubbard dominating the Tigers by a score of 42-7. Hubbard’s Senior duo, Davion Daniels and Ralph Morales both had three total touchdowns each.

Week 6- Niles September 28th: On September 28th the Eagles hosted the Niles McKinley Red Dragons, a team whom they have had recent success with in the recent years, and the Eagles wanted to keep that tradition going. After the Homecoming Festivities were all done and Prestin Allen and Ramiah Givens were named Homecoming King and Queen, the Eagles took the field and had one goal, to dominate, and they did just that. The Eagles blew out the Red Dragons by a score of 37-0 with scores from Davion Daniels, Ralph Morales, Lukas Mosara, Anthony Corrin, and Jayquan Odem

Week 7- Jefferson October 5th: On Friday October 5th, the Eagles were scheduled to travel to Jefferson to face the Falcons, and repeat their dominance of the year prior, and they did just that, this time wiping them out by a score of 60-0. Hubbard dominated on both sides of the ball: on offense, Davion Daniels scored three total touchdowns, with Ralph Morales adding on two of his own, and Junior Cam Restar throwing one of his own. On the defensive side of the ball, Hubbard scored back to back scoop-n-scores in the 4th quarter, with Senior Lukas Mosora getting the first, and Junior Jermia Harris getting the second.

Week 8- Struthers October 12th: The Eagles didn’t slow down there, the next week on October 12th,  Hubbard was scheduled to host the Struthers Wildcats, who had just beaten a tough Poland Bulldogs team two weeks prior. The game was voted to be featured on WKBN’s “Game of the Week, Hubbard’s second appearance this season, and just like the first time, Hubbard didn’t disappoint. The game wasn’t close at all, with Hubbard scoring 41, and holding Struthers’ offense to zero points. Morales had three touchdowns, and was named “Player of the Game”.  Daniels also passed for two touchdowns, and with Lukas Mosora adding on a rushing touchdown of his own, the Eagles couldn’t be stopped.

Week 9- Poland October 19: On October 19, the Eagles traveled to Poland to face the Bulldogs in what would prove to be a true test of the team as a whole. Once again, Hubbard failed to disappoint, blanking Poland by a score of 17-0. Although it was Hubbard’s lowest scoring game of the season, it was a true team win against a

tough opponent. Ralph Morales scored one rushing touchdown, Davion Daniels adding on a passing of his own to fellow captain Lukas Mosora, with Senior Anthony Corrin topping it off with a 28-yard field goal. After the game the Eagles were named AAC White Tier Conference Champions, their first time since 2014.

Week 10- East October 26: Finally, on October 26, the red hot Youngstown East Golden Bears, who had just recently beaten the Canfield Cardinals, ranked number 1st in Division lll, came to town. East was hungry for revenge, with Hubbard beating them 22-8 the year prior. The game was tightly contested the entire night, with Hubbard coming back from a 14 point deficit to take a one point lead with 2:29 left in the game. The Golden Bears marched down the field and stunned the Eagles by scoring a touchdown pass with 9 seconds left in the game. Even after a heartbreaking lost, the Eagles finished with a record of 9-1, their best in recent years, and a Conference Championship, something all the players and coaches should be proud of.

Hubbard enters ranked as the 7th team in Division IV, and they are scheduled to host Indian Creek on November 3rd in the first round of the OHSAA State Playoffs. Sophomore Linebacker Kobe Krisuk stated simply, “ With all this hard work we put in this season, we have one goal set in our mind, to win a State Championship.” Good Luck Guys!

Hubbard Eagles Football 2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIrf7SgfJZI

Andrew Frank, Sophomore Staff Writer

Andrew Frank is starting his sophomore year at Hubbard High School. He is a first year HUB staff member and enjoys writing about sports and current...

• Football Wrap Up: Eagles Soar in 2018

Sports

HHS 2019 Wrestling Season: Injuries and Inconsistencies

• Football Wrap Up: Eagles Soar in 2018

Sports

HHS Boys Basketball Looks to Improve

• Football Wrap Up: Eagles Soar in 2018

Sports

Should Girls Be Banned from Boys Sports?

• Football Wrap Up: Eagles Soar in 2018

Sports

Hubbard Basketball Season Recap

• Football Wrap Up: Eagles Soar in 2018

Sports

HHS Boys Soccer Season Recap

• Football Wrap Up: Eagles Soar in 2018

Sports

Hubbard Football Sets Eyes on State

• Football Wrap Up: Eagles Soar in 2018

Sports

Girls Golf Season Roundup

• Football Wrap Up: Eagles Soar in 2018

Sports

Are the 2018 Cleveland Browns the Real Deal?

• Football Wrap Up: Eagles Soar in 2018

Sports

Boys Soccer Scores Victories

• Football Wrap Up: Eagles Soar in 2018

Sports

Girls Golf Drives Forward

Football Wrap Up: Eagles Soar in 2018