Hubbard Alumni Don’t Just Score Goals, They Accomplish Them Too

Christina Badurik, Sophomore Staff Writer

Hubbard has a long history of alumni who go on to accomplish great things.  Two more recent Hubbard graduates, Khaled (2017) and Nader Kassem (2020), have proved this idea   true by using the sport they love to give back to their community.  

After lots of hard work and dedication, the two brothers were able to start their very own soccer training program called Youngstown Soccer Development on February 28th, 2021.  “My brother and I decided to start YSD to help out kids who want to get better by participating in one on one and even in group training. We also have so much love for soccer as we grew up on it in our family. We played for 10 years plus,  and we thought it was time to give back to the community and to kids in need to get better. Also, soccer is an expensive sport and we have the qualifications to help out kids for a low price.”, said Nader.  What they’re doing for the community is so special, as they are offering quality training to people who do not want or have the ability to spend a fortune on it. In this day and age, it is hard to stay competitive in a sport without getting extra training or joining a club team, for those who go the extra mile by doing that will be more advanced in the sport than those who do not. However, it is difficult for some players to afford those additional practices due to the great expenses that go into them. Youngstown Soccer Development grants children the opportunity to remain at an equal playing field with their teammates and opponents, regardless of their financial status.

Though it’s only been a short period of time, they have already accomplished so much. “So far we’ve gotten to train many Hubbard athletes, and even held a training camp for Hubbard’s JV soccer team. We also coached the Hubbard U10 team and went undefeated and won the league championship. It’s been great to watch these athletes grow and learn more about the game after they are finished training with us.  It is especially rewarding since they will eventually bring their skills and pride to the same team that I played for in the past.” 

The program has already had a huge impact on those who have participated.  “We feel that many players that have trained with us haven’t only become better on the field but became better humans off the field. We believe to be a good soccer player you have to have great morals and be a humble person. Many of these kids have learned a lot and you can see the effects on the player as they show these results off and on the field.”

All in all, these brothers have used their love and knowledge of soccer as well as their love for their community to bring about a positive change that they wanted to see.  By opening this program they have changed the game for many soccer players who wish to get better but don’t have the funds to do so. They are also making it their mission to teach valuable life lessons in the form of a sport.  What a wonderful goal to accomplish!